Science fiction conventions may be a little different from other events you have attended. Here’s a quick checklist of what to expect.
- You buy memberships, not just admission tickets. We like to think of everyone as part of the convention — all are welcome as long as they paid for their memberships and abide by our Code of Conduct.
- All convention events are open to all members as part of their membership.
- Saturday-only memberships (sold online or at the door on Saturday) are for Saturday events. If you want to go to events on Friday or Sunday, upgrade to a full membership.
- When you come to the con, go to Registration (in the hotel lobby). There are usually two lines, one for those who have registered in advance, and another for those registering at the door. Registering in advance will save time in the process.
- Once registered, you’ll be given a name badge. Wear this at all times for admission to the various convention events in the hotel.
- We provide a badge holder. If you’d like a lanyard, they will be available for $1.
- Your registration packet will include a full-color Souvenir Book, with information on the guests of honor and other program participant.
- Also pick up a Pocket Program, Program Grid, and Gaming Schedule.
- There also will be various ribbons identifying people — Guest, Committee, Artist, Dealer — as well as humorous ribbons you can add to your badge at registration (while supplies last, of course).
Events and Program
- The convention tends to have events all through the day and night. Programming runs from 10 am until 11 pm (and sometimes later).
- The con suite is where convention members can meet and get soft drinks and snacks (provided by the convention as part of your membership). It will be beside the pool this year.
- Programming consists of panel discussions, readings, autographing, gaming, workshops, our costume contest, and various presentations. We try to provide a variety. Check the pocket program and program grid to see what’s going on.
- We will have a small dealer’s room, concentrating on books and games.
- There is also an art show. You can bid on the artwork if you’d like to buy it. Prints may also be for sale.
- Albacon is known for its Saturday Night Extravaganza — a full evening of fannish entertainment. It starts at 8 pm.
- Note: these are only available to those with full memberships. If you bought a Saturday-only membership, you can upgrade at registration to attend.
- The Friday writers workshop is part of the convention for full convention members. The first panel will begin at 9:00 am. If you want to bring something to be critiqued, there will be a time for that.
- Friday night is our Ice Cream Social. Yes, there’s ice cream, and you can meet the guests of the convention. There will also be an art show reception.
- Note: Full memberships only.
- Sunday has fewer events, consisting of panel discussions and readings.
- If you bought something at the art show, you can pick it up starting at 1:30.
What to wear
- Costumes and cosplay are welcome. Our secret judges will be looking at your costumes on Saturday, with an eye to giving cash prizes to the top examples.
- If you’re not in costume (and most people are not), dress code is casual. Wear whatever you like. T-shirts with science fiction/fantasy references are common. Some people will wear buttons with fannish slogans on them.